First Settlers Monument
The Monument is a permanent record of the historical event which led to the foundation of the Capital City of Tasmania.
Built entirely of Tasmanian stone and in keeping with its surroundings, the solid and somewhat austere lines exemplify the hardships of early settlement and the solidarity and permanence of its foundation. The rectangular and circular base is built of dolerite of the Tasmanian mountains, the superstructure is of granite from the East Coast along which the expeditions of Bowen and Collins sailed on their way to the Derwent.
Bronze plates on each side of the centre stone bear the following inscriptions:-
The photo of the unveiling of the memorial was provided by The Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania and shows Her Majesty with the Duke of Edinburgh (far left) and the Tasmanian Governor, The Right Hon. Sir Ronald Cross , Bt, KCMG, KCVO. The Navy crew and ship at rear has not been identified.
On the sides of the columns are panels in bas-relief in freestone from a quarry near Hobart, which supplied much of the stone of the fine buildings erected during the 19th Century. These panels, as accurate as can be furnished in stone, represent the two ships Lady Nelson and Ocean, which brought the first Lieutenant-Governor and his party to Sullivan Cove.
They are a permanent memorial to the two vessels, one of which, the Lady Nelson, played a prominent part in the other settlements at Risdon and Port Dalrymple, and carried out, over a period of nearly twenty-five years, much exploratory work in other parts of Australia. The Monument is situated on the historical site of Hunter Island where Collins landed. It forms the centre of a traffic circus in a busy part of the Port of Hobart. Its position is appropriate; nearby are the piers which berth the ocean liners, and the picturesque docks for sailing and fishing vessels. The view from the base, across Hobart towards Mount Wellington, is one of the finest in Tasmania.
The Monument was constructed under the supervision of the Public Works Department from the design by W.H. Furness.
Stonemason: V.W. Seivers. Bas-relief Panels: M.G. Davidson
In February 2004 plaques were placed on the Monument with names of persons victualled by Lieutenant-Governor Collins for the journey to Sullivans Cove in 1803-1804. The Memorial is a regular reference point for visitors to Hobart researching family histories.
All content © 2016, Hobart Town (1804) First Settlers Association Inc.